Read the past year(s) O-Level Oral Questions and write abbreviations to help you present Planned Responses. Alternatively, you can do a video recording of your presentation to practise for Spoken Interaction. Practice makes progress. Make time to do this, and you will get better at oral! Get detailed O-Level Oral Model Responses if you buy the WR!TERS@WORK O-Level eBook and video bundle.
PAST YEARS O-LEVEL ORAL QUESTIONS
|DAY||VIDEO||2023 O-LEVEL – PLANNED RESPONSE||2023 O-LEVEL – SPOKEN INTERACTION||TOPIC|
|– Teachers, please contact your students ON THE DAY OF THE EXAM and key in all the Qs here|
|1||Video shows national servicemen doing push-up and team bonding activities. A crowd of NSmen cheering as they did pushups and there was a crowd surrounding them taking video and smiling. There is audience watching the NSmen doing all these activities. (T.Faiz – could be NS Men cohesion day, personnel doing activities during their reservist cycle)||
Who are the people watching the event, and what could they be thinking?
What do you think the people watching the video are feeling?
Q1a: How could school and family contribute to a teenager’s character development?
Q1b: What do you think parents and schools can do to teach their child good morales?
Q1c: What can schools and parents do to cultivate a child’s character?
Q2a: Should students join uniform groups?
Q2b: Do you think everyone can join uniform groups?
Q2c: Do you think that all students should join uniform groups as their CCA?
|Singapore (patriotism) – New topic Education|
|2||Video showed a group of elderly women laughing and talking happily. Next scene, it zoomed into one elderly womn making wigs. Finally, it showed an elderly woman helping a young lady to try on a wig. (Could be cancer volunteers or salon)||
The elderly woman are making good use of their time? Why, or why not?
Q1: How can we encourage life long learning for elderly?
Q1: What are some things you can do to encourage the elderly to learn new things?
Q2: Do you think we can bridge the generation gap?
Q2: Do you think it is difficult to bridge the gap between the older generation and the young?
|Elderly / Family|
|3||Video was panning across the field and it shows the grass area at Marina Barrage. People flying kites and having picnics. There are families and joyful children.||
Do you think there should be more open spaces like the one shown in the video? Why or why not?
Q1b: What could be done to improve your neighbourhood?
Q2a: Greenery is important in Singapore. What is your opinion?
Q2b: People say Singapore is a Garden City, do you think greenery makes our country a more positive place to live in?
|Parks / Environment|
|4||Video opens with a caption / heading:
“This video shows Singapore experiencing high levels of Haze”
Video shows Singapore skyline & landmarks with observable haze. The Merlion and Esplanade bride are visible. On the birdge there is a person, wearing a mask,riding an electric unicycle. A wide view of Clark Quay and other nearby landmarks are also shown.
How has the haze affected people living in the city?
Q1a: Are environmental issues important to you and others around you? Why or why not?
Q1b: Are environmental issues important to you and others in Singapore? Why or why not?
Q2a: Human activities are often carried out at the expense of the environment. What is your opinion?
Q2b: Do you agree that human activities are carried out at the expense of the environment? Why or why not?
|5||Video shows students doing chemical practical science experiements) in a lab||
Would you and your friends prefer hands on learning?
Q1a: What are the advantages and disadvantages of studying with friends?
Q1b: What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing group work?
Q1c: What are the advantages and disadvantages of studying in a group?
Q2a: Some people say that academic grades are not as important as what we learn in school. Do you agree?
Q2b: Academic grades are more important than soft skills that we learn in school. Do you agree?
|Education / Youth Issues|
|6||Video: Robots performing at a robot exhibition. There are 2 robots singing. Next, there are other robots interacting with people (the robots were clapping hands with a lady). Finally, there was another cute-looking robot holding out flowers.||
Did the video change your opinion of robots?
Has the video changed your opinion of robots? Why or why not?
Q1a: Can robots replace teachers?
Q1b: Do you think robots can take over the role of teachers?
Q1c: Robots will one day replace teachers. Do you agree? why or why not?
Q2a: Technology has brought positive changes to learning at school. Do you agree?
Q2b: “Technology has greatly improved teaching and learning.” Do you agree with the statement?
Q2c: How can technology improve education?
Q2d: What problems does technology bring to teaching?
|Education / Technology|
|7||Video shows one young boy (around Sec 1) playing table tennis. Next, it zooms out to show two boys playing table tennis with each other. The boys look like they are sparring in a sports hall. Next, there are sounds of other players playing table tennis in the background too but the video only showed the 2 young boys.||
Do you think training has removed the fun element from playing table tennis for the two boys?
Do you think training makes table tennis unenjoyable for these boys?
Q1a: Do you think competitive sports is beneficial?
Q1b: What can you learn from doing competitive sports?
Q1c: Is competitive sports beneficial?
Q2a: Do you think that we have placed less emphasis on academic results but more on sports?
Q2b: Do you think the society prioritizes academic achievements over sporting achievements?
|Sports / Competition|
|8||Video shows kids playing a game (One kid has to bend down with one arms up, then the other kid has to throw a ball between his body)||
Do you think the activity shown in the video has any value for the kids?
Q1: What opportunities do you have to work together with others?
Q2: Should schools emphasize on team efforts or individual efforts?
|Games / Education|
|DAY||VIDEO||2022 O-LEVEL ORAL QUESTIONS||TOPIC|
|1||The video was about children playing in a playground||
1. What do you think the people are feeling in the video?
2a. Tell me about a game that you didn’t enjoy playing
3b. The best part about playing games is winning. Do you agree?
|Play / Leisure|
|2||The video today is about a group of people exercising. (people in a mall participating in an event with an aerobic exercise demonstration)||
1) What do you think the people are feeling while doing the exercise?
2) Do you prefer to exercise alone or in a group ?
3) Do people care too much about physical fitness and how they look?
|Sports / Health|
|3||The video was about traditional performing arts where 2 people are dancing a Hokkien traditional dance.||
1. How do you think the people watching are feeling?
2. What is your opinion on traditional performances?
|4||The video shows 2 adults and 1 boy taking care of birds in a bird cage. A woman is feeding the bird using a syringe, and the man is helping her. The boy at the back is watching the woman and cautiously petting the birds.||
1. What do you think the people in the video are feeling?
2. Would you be interested in working with wildlife when you grow up?
3. Do you think it is rightful to keep animals in captivity?
3. “Animals should not be kept in captivity” What are your views?
|Animals / Career|
|5||The video shows a group of senior citizens doing tai chi at a HDB void deck near a park.||
1. Would you like to take part in the activity like the one shown in the video?
2. What are some ways elderly can keep fit?
3. People say that finding time to exercise in our busy life is getting harder? What are your views?
|Elderly / Sports|
|6||The video shows a male Japanese chef making pancake / takoyaki.||
1. If you were in the video, what is difficult and easy about making pancakes?
2. What are your favourite street foods, and what do you enjoy about them?
3. Do you prefer eating at home or outside?
|Food / Family|
|7||The video shows children fishing in a man-made fish farm.||
1. What do you think the children are feeling?
2. How do you feel rewarded during your leisure time?
3. “Some people say the best way to spend their free time is by doing nothing” What are your views?
3. Some people think that lazing around is the best way to relax. Do you agree?
|8||The video shows children competing in speedcubing competition||
1. How were the children in the video feeling?
2. Tell me about a competition you have competed in
2. Do you think people should be competitive?
3. “Competitive people are winners, and non competitive people are losers” Do you agree?
3. What do you think is an achievement?
|DAY||VIDEO||2021 O-LEVEL ORAL QUESTIONS||TOPIC|
|1||(video showed people queuing to board a bus)||
Q1: How would you feel if you were in that queue?
Q2: What are your likes or dislikes about public transport in Singapore?
Q3: Some people think cities only need to have public transport. What are your views?
|2||(video showed a bunch of cyclists cycling together)||
Q1: How do you think the people (spectators and competitors) are feeling?
Q2: Would you like to take part in a race?
Q3: Do you agree that students should be made to go to competitions?
|Sports / Competition|
|3||(video showed children playing at a playground in a park)||
Q1: How would you feel if you are one of the people (maids and children) in the video?
Q2: Tell me about some games that you played when you were younger.
Q3: Children nowadays don’t get enough fun or play time. How far do you agree with this statement?
|Play / Park|
|4||(video showed elderly people hanging up songbirds and watching them)||
Q1: What do you think the people (elderly) in the video were feeling?
Q2: Would you like to have a hobby like this (keeping songbirds)?
Q3: Do u think it is important to preserve traditions? / Would you like to keep your traditions?
|Elderly / Hobby|
|5||(video showed people having a massage at an open area of the shopping mall)||
Q1: Why do you think the people in the video are having a massage?
Q2: Would you like to have a job at a shopping mall? Why or why not ?
Q3: There are too many shopping malls in Singapore. Do you agree ?
|Shopping / Career|
|6||(video showed a person busking and people watching)||
Q1: What do u think the people are feeling when the person is busking?
Q2: Would you like to busk? Why or why not ?
Q3: People feel that performing in public or theatre brings no benefit to society. Do you agree ?
|Performance / Entertainment|
|7||(video showed children taking a carousel)||
Q1: How do you think the children in the video are feeling?
Q2: Tell me a time when you went to a carnival or a theme park. / What is one amusement park that you’ve been to or want to go to, and why?
Q3: Do you think it is possible to have fun without spending money? / “Money can buy happiness”. Do you agree? / You don’t need money to have a good time, do you agree?
|Theme park / Leisure / Tourism|
|8||(video showed scenes of people running at various stages of a running race)||
Q1: What do you think the people in the video are thinking about?
Q2: Tell me about a sport competition you have taken part in or watched.
Q3: Do you agree with the view that people only achieve great things if they compete with each other?
|Competition / Sports|
|DAY||VIDEO||2020 O-LEVEL ORAL QUESTIONS||TOPIC|
|1||The video showcased a few Indian chefs cooking some Indian food of sort. One man is cracking eggs, then another guy is cooking some hot pot of curry and the last chef is using 2 cookie cutters to chop out some bread like thing on a hot pot. There was also an Indian waiter entertaining some Indian customer.||
1. What is an exciting job that you would like to have?
2. What jobs do you think will never be replaced by technology?
3. Do you think it is more important for students to focus on studies or think about your career? What are your views?
|Work / Education|
|2||The video showcased a family playing air hockey at an arcade.||
1. What other ways can you spend time with your friends and family?
2. Some people say that “playing any games are a waste of time”. Do you agree?
|Play / Family|
|3||The video showcased 3 elderly sitting on a bench (2 female and 1 male). the 2 females are talking to one another and drinking some sort of drink.||
1. Talk about an experience speaking to someone from a much older generation.
2. Do you agree with the view that there is a lack of understanding between the older and younger generations?
|4||The video showcased a café.||
1. Do you think it is lonely to studying by yourself at home? Why, or why not?
2. What are the advantage and disadvantages using the Internet and doing homework in cafes?
|5||The video showcased a group of people producing music.||
1. Describe an event where music played an important role.
2. Some people prefer to listen to music from other countries than their own country. What are your opinions?
3. Tell me about a place you went to where music plays an important role.
4. What is your favourite song and how has this song influenced / affected you?
5. How do you think the people in the video feel about producing music?
|Music / Entertainment|
|6||The video showcased a group of foreign children (about 50 of them) playing at the playground in a park.||
1. Why do you think the children will enjoy the park?
2. Do you go to the park with your friends now?
3. Do you think it is better for children to go for organised leisure activities or to go for parks?
|Park / Leisure|
|DAY||VIDEO||2019 O-LEVEL ORAL QUESTIONS||TOPIC|
|1||Peranakan museum dance troupe ending / starting pose||
1. Why do you think this picture was taken?
2. Are you interested in history? Why, or why not?
3. Do you agree with the view that we no longer need museums because we can find out everything we need to know from the internet? Why, or why not?
|Arts & Culture|
|2||Gym and men / boys working out||
1. How do you think the people in the picture are feeling about their training?
2. Tell me about something you do to keep fit and healthy.
3. Some people say that going to a gym in an expensive waste of time. What do you think?
|Sports and health|
|3||Science experience workshop for children||
1, What might the children in the picture be thinking?
2. Which school subject do you find exciting and why?
3. How far do you agree with the view that science is the most important subject for students to study?
|Science & education|
|4||Teenagers reading newspaper at a bus-stop / public place||
1. What do you think the students in the picture might be reading about?
2. Tell about something you have read recently in a newspaper, magazine or blog
3. Do you think it is better for people to read from books than to read online? Why, or why not?
|Reading / Internet|
|5||Students cooking competition||
1. Do you think the students in the picture enjoy taking part in the cooking competition? Why, or why not?
2. Describe for me a competition that you have taken part in at a school or elsewhere.
3. Do you agree with the view that it is good for students to compete against one another? Why, or why not?
|Competition / sportsmanship|
|6||Children at a playground||
1. How would you describe the children’s feelings in the picture here?
2. Which game did you like playing when you were a child, and why?
3. Some people say that young people should be encouraged to do activities outside rather than stay indoors playing computer games or watching television. What is your opinion?
|Leisure pursuits / play|
|7||Cycling at Coney Island||
1. Why do you think the people in the picture are visiting Coney Island?
2. Tell me about another place in Singapore you think tourists should see.
3. How far do you agree with the view that tourism is always a good thing?
|8||CPR workshop in a hall||
1. Why do you think this photograph was taken?
2. Tell me about a useful course outside school that you have taken or would like to take.
3. How far do you agree with the view that students should focus on their main school subjects and should not take courses outside school?
|Lifelong learning / education|
|9||Primary school children out on a learning journey excursion||
1. Would you enjoy going on a school trip like the one in the picture? Why, or why not?
2. Tell me about the kinds of pictures / posters you would like to have in your school.
HALL OF FAME
Janice glanced worriedly at her wrist watch. The time was already ten past seven. She had twenty minutes to make it to school on time. The sky was overcast. A slight drizzle rained down like a mist. It started raining cats and dogs as Janice reached the bus stop. She had ignored her mother’s advice to take an umbrella with her. She wondered how she was going to make itto school in the rain.
Jovan Ang, Primary 2
Rulang Primary School
HALL OF FAME
It was an idyllic Saturday morning. Fluffy white clouds hung in the clear cerulean sky. Granny Lucy was tottering to the market. Her heart was filled with light-hearted cheer and her mouth curled into a smile. She was looking forward to preparing a feast for her grandchildren, who were coming for dinner that night.
Kew Ling Wei, Primary 3
Raffles Girls’ Primary School
I am amazed at the depth of vocabulary my child has amassed since attending W@W. She has become a much more confident writer and can now write a full story with ease. She loves coming to lessons
Mr Calvin Tang
Parent of our Primary 3 student